What does it take to be the best in the world? Talent obviously, passion yes, but then comes the hard work, endless practice and attention to detail, constant self-reflection and adjustment, resilience, trust in and reliance on your team, much like running a successful business. In this episode of Purpose To Performance, I interview Martyn Smith, world champion acrobat, creative producer, and successful entrepreneur.
Martyn’s an old friend and ex-colleague who has achieved great success as the co-founder and leader of several entertainment and hospitality businesses. He’s an easy-going and humble guy who shies away from the limelight, but this masks a deep intensity and personal drive that has led to his success as an elite athlete and a business leader.
During our conversation, Martyn shares his perspectives on various topics including personal development, leadership, product innovation, and creative marketing. Here are a few snippets of wisdom to get you interested.
- Don’t dwell on your mistakes; focus on continuous improvement
- If you don’t feel you’re progressing or growing, take action to change your situation or you’ll get frustrated
- You either embrace failure as part of thriving or retreat into a hole
- There are no bad ideas; it’s what you do with them
- Hospitality is all about the experience; attention to detail is vital
- Believe in your product and create trends to help the customers find it
- Attract the right market; don’t dumb it down or discount to drive volume and popularity
- Stay true to the concept but listen to your customer and adapt
- Reflect on what you’re good at and find good people to cover the gaps
- Find people who can buy into your vision and standards to form your leadership team
- Create a transparent leadership culture and let your people share the success
- Strive to be the best in what you choose to do
Martyn Smith is the co-founder and CEO of Social Club Mallorca and the CEO of Son Amar
Andrew Clemence hosts Purpose To Performance; for more information about the podcast, go to Purpose To Performance
For more information about my leadership coaching, follow the link: Leadership Coaching